1995-1997 Part-Time Silver Service at Manchester United Football Club
High quality customer service working in the executive boxes and looking after customer needs.
1995 – 1998 Part-time Youth Worker, Oldham, Education and Leisure Services
Directly involved in ‘face to face’ work with children and young people: providing social education, support and assistance and a unique befriending and advocacy service. I have been fully active in a range of successful activities/events during summer programmes.
I gained extensive experience and skill, in developing positive out-reach and centre based provisions. I have enabled individuals, groups and local people to use their time constructively, organise themselves and be actively involved in supporting young people, developing their communities and environment.
1996 – 1999 Residential Childcare Social Worker, Stepping Stones Children Unit, Marple, Stockport
Providing direct, therapeutic services and care to Children and Young people ‘Looked After’ Under the Children Act 1989 (voluntary agreements and statutory orders). My ability to engage young people in activities and discussions enabled me to build positive and meaningful relationships and, in turn, provide appropriate care, control and protection. I have an exceptional and worthwhile understanding of Children and Young people who experience group living and foster care. I am effective in providing empathy, having patience and providing good family and parenting interventions.
1997 – 2001 Childcare Area Social Worker, Rochdale Social Services Department
I have experienced a high level of competence in the full range of statutory childcare work and was successful in attaining my level three senior Social Worker status in 2000.
I specialised in Child Protection; undertaking S.47 investigations, being key worker for children on the child protection register, representing the Department in Family and the High Court during care proceedings and planning, assessing and providing suitable family and residential placements for Children and Young people.
My key strengths in this line of work were managing complex cases and situations, crisis intervention, interagency collaborative work, partnership with Children, Young People and their careers and working with Young People experiencing troubled adolescents.
2001 – 2006: Senior Youth Offending Team Social Worker, Bolton Youth Offending Team
I have effectively undertaken the full range of Services, Duties and Interventions under the remit and responsibilities of the Youth Offending Team. I have specialised in Court work; being an Officer of the Court, representing the Council, reporting on young people, devising effective bail and remand packages, providing effective interventions and care of the young people and ensuring the protection of the public.
I have been Case Manager for Cases of the highest of complexity and Risk levels. I have been the lead professional and responsible for conducting comprehensive assessments of Young People within the Criminal Justice System who are deemed to be high risk and vulnerable. I have specialised in working with and providing effective interventions to young people assessed as being dangerous and/or being at risk of self-harm and suicide.
I have developed interventions and programmes for young people to address their offending and related behaviours, as well as support their families and carers. I have been instrumental in the induction, training and development of new staff, students and volunteers, as well as the promotion and support of Team development.
2006 – 2011: Integrated Resettlement Service (RAP) Manager, Bolton Youth Offending Team, and Bolton Council
I have been pivotal in the development, management and efficient delivery of this unique resettlement and rehabilitation provision. I always strive for excellence and value, to produce services, programmes and projects that have a continuing impact for young people, their family and their communities, as well as meeting the aims and objectivities of Local and Central Government.
Whilst managing the RAP project through to its transition to a fully Integrated Resettlement Service, I have accomplished the full range of project management skills, roles, duties and responsibilities. In particular, I have successfully brought teams, departments and external partners together to create and sustain magnificent and beneficial schemes such as: Brunch Club – healthy eating and catering skills, social skills, learning lounge, arts, and leisure at the YMCA, Health, Wellbeing and Lifestyle Programme; developed with Health Impact Trainer (HIT), providing a positive impact and change catalyst for Young People and staff to live healthy and positive lifestyles combining sports, gym work, martial arts and relaxation. The Together Project (large scale allotment project) – promoting healthy spaces, healthy food, education and skills, youth volunteering and community citizenship, access and places to learn and have fun for people with disabilities, as well as providing food for those in need around the communities of Bolton.
I have developed, trained and supervised a diverse dedicated team, which consists of dynamic full-time staff, a volunteer coordinator, devoted volunteers, sessional workers and external contractors. The team deliver services, support and programmes from three separate project buildings (Action for Children, YMCA and YOT) as well as work undertaken in the wider community.
I am proud of this unique and effective Service, which not only addresses the offending behaviour, lifestyles choices, thinking, moral development and pathways of our youth, but also focuses on the protection and development of our communities.
I have been influential in the Government’s decision to cascade IRS (formerly RAP) throughout the country due to the successful outcomes of Bolton’s RAP service. My revealing research and gathering of statistical data has been instrumental in this decision. Bolton RAP has become a beacon of effective practice and service delivery.
Through organising and taking the lead in Practitioner forums and Regional conferences I have promoted the sharing of good practice.
I am proud to say our service has positively impacted on the lives of many within Bolton, helping them to get on the right track and take the right steps to success, by providing them with more opportunities in education, training and employment, sports and leisure, activities and events, places to stay and live, as well as having someone to talk and listen to.
CEO and Founding Director of Raise the Youth Foundation – Community Interest Company Limited by Guarantee
Role and responsibilities
- Creator and founder
- Business planning
- Lead start up director
- Main investor
- Securing grants and investments
- Leadership of an expanding social organisation
- Management and supervision of multi-disciplinary team – senior managers, accountant, sub-contractors, teachers, social care, youth work, community workers, trade staff, administration and business support, and creative industries
- Development of micro enterprises and supporting other groups for business start-ups
- Regional service provider – Oldham, Bolton, Salford, Trafford, Manchester
- Leading on large commissions with local Governments, home office, charities, and social housing organizations, colleges and schools
- Policy development
- Staff development
- Community development
- Workforce development training, work placements and training (youth work community studies, social work, health and psychology yr 1/2/3 for over 10 years)
- Business development
- Human resources
- Workforce development plans
- Development and management of business and operating resources
- Creation and innovation of interventions, projects, and social and educational services
- Delivering expert childcare and youth work services and interventions
- Business start-ups
- Social entrepreneur
- Local employer
- Public speaker
- Volunteer and student development
- Development of a new vocational and alternative education provision
- Accounts and financial management and control
- Strategic planning implementation, monitoring, and review
- CEO role and work with board of directors
- Reporting to Board, commissioners, and partners
- Marketing and sales
- Negotiating and managing business contracts and spot purchasing customers
- Public relations and working with other community groups, partnerships, Local Government, social housing organizations, charities, local, regional, and national businesses
- Expansion of business and managing increased demand and change management
- Designing, developing, and managing a youth education and training center
- Developing and creating studio RTY
- Planning and negotiating a new RTY service in Oldham